Friday, June 20, 2008

Message from Master Dale

Some of you may not have gotten this message from Master Dale and I would like to pass it on! I have opened this for reader comments if you would like to send a PUBLIC message to Master Dale and his family.

Hi all,

It has been my pleasure to have served you here in Texas since 1995 with the most honest and effective personal protection and life skills training available. While leading Kung Fu San So of Texas, I was honored by the commitment of hundreds of people who established personal development goals, worked and toughed it out to make them happen, and irreversibly grew as a result of the experience.

Many black belts - all of whom climbed a personal mountain to attain their rank, and even Masters of the Art were a result of our combined efforts. I always learned something from each of you - just as Grandmaster Jimmy Woo swore would happen. One of the many truths of the art of San Soo. How many San Soo truths have you taken the time to discover in repayment for the thousands of generations who developed this art for you?

Many of you do not know the details of my family's relocation, so I will brief you on where we're going and what we're doing.

I'll be leaving in the morning for my new assignment in Lexington, Ky. and will be assuming the position of Area Vice President for an exciting, privately held billion dollar company with very aggressive growth objectives. You know how well that description aligns with my personality!

I will be leading a team of 70+ sales, management, operations and administrative personnel in several states. It is an enormous challenge and providing solid discipline and clear direction are my orders - there has been an absence of strong leadership with a clear view of the direction the organization expects. This characteristic will destabilize even the most committed team. Your school has strong and committed leadership...have you taken the temperature of your commitment to yourself and your growth in San Soo lately?

I'll share with you my plans to turn the operation into what is expected.

First, the 4 A's I rely upon to put positive action into motion: Assessment, Alignment, Accountability and Acceleration. It is imperative that we honestly and accurately Assess the place we are in, and each and every team member's strengths and growth opportunities.

Then we'll compare the current reality to the expectation of the company: the Alignment phase. After determining the 'critical goal categories' that will close the most significant gaps, assignment and Accountabilities will be established through those who hold leadership positions, and then evaluation of performance will be performed.

Finally, Acceleration. The faster we can close the large gaps, the faster we move toward satisfying the vision. Then we shift to 2nd tier goals and repeat the efforts. Then we be in control. Think any of this can be applied to you, your work, family, martial arts training or life? Only if you really want to accomplish something of value.

How will I as a literal stranger walk in and establish this momentum as soon as possible? First, as the leader I must. That's non-negotiable. Anyone who chooses to not participate, contribute or accept accountability, will be replaced. This isn't being unfriendly or heavy handed...it's business. Threat-based management however, is the worst form of leadership, so the entire buy-in will be based upon a simple quote that will become the mantra that will deliver the results and culture we want:

"None of us is as good as all of us!"

That quote made me think of your Kung Fu school. Our school, and how we grew in so many life changing ways. Together.

It has been my honor to be teacher, student, servant and trusted adviser to all of the wonderful people who are the school. I hope to always remain a valued friend to our San Soo family and remember, I'm only a phone call or mouse click away.

All my best - now, challenge yourself to FINISH SOMETHING! (Like a black belt...)

Master Dale

No comments: